Activities of a single person or team, which carries responsibility for:
- Helping the individual make informed choices about opportunities and services.
- Assuring timely access to needed assistance and services.
- Providing opportunities and encouragement for self-help activities.
- Assisting the individual in development of realistic, attainable life goals.
- Locating, coordinating and monitoring all services to meet these goals.
Case Managers consider the individual’s environment in the development of life goals and services. Case Management Service is a supportive community-based service which seeks to maximize an individual’s and his/her family’s abilities and to enable growth in some or all aspects of the person’s vocational, educational, residential, social, mental and physical health as it relates to environments.
Priority is placed on providing personal support and guidance in helping the individual and their family acquire comprehensive, integrated resources in their natural community environment.
CASE MANAGEMENT SERVICES INCLUDE:
EMPOWERING INDIVIDUALS & THEIR FAMILIES
CRISIS ASSISTANCE & INTERVENTION
SERVICE NEED MONITORING
ARRANGING SERVICE REPONSES TO IDENTIFIED NEEDS
Underlying principles of Case Management:
- Empowerment – Individuals are assisted in taking charge of their own lives to the greatest degree possible through informed decision making, self-advocacy, skill development and participation in the planning and delivery of services.
- Normalization – Individuals should be served in the least restrictive and most appropriate environment possible.
- Rehabilitation – Individuals should have available assistance in learning those physical, intellectual and/or emotional skills needed to participate in working, living, educational and recreational activities.
- Continuity of Care – There should be a community support system which structures, coordinates and maintains continual contact between service providers and the individual and their families.
- Family Focus – Services provided to the individual should be family focused.